Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

What kind of stand mixed should I buy? Tilt head, bowl lift?

Planning to make bread, cakes, pizza dough, etc. I'm not sure the design and model to start with, any suggestions would be appreciated!

asked by Tempe about 2 years ago

I've only ever had a bowl-lift model, but I like it very much. If you buy a Kitchen Aid, you shouldn't ever need another one. Mine is 26 years old.

The tilt head is more convenient, but bowl lift is bigger and more powerful. It takes up more room on the counter and more expensive, but if power and ability to make larger amounts are priority, bowl lift is the way to go.

Kitchenaids are great. A friend of mine bought a Breville and loves it. It's fun to go to Amazon and read reviews of the different models.

If you've just won the lottery, Hobart makes a tabletop mixer that is amazing. I had a wholesale dessert business moons ago and was able to make multiple 10" cheesecakes at a time. It has a very powerful and quiet motor.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

This question comes up a lot, most recently here

https://food52.com/hotline...

It comes down to your personal feelings on the trade offs--power vs. cost and weight.

I loved my tilt-head until it walked off the counter (twice!) because of a heavy bread dough. (I didn't overload it -- I swear!) A couple of the plastic bits broke, but the mixer still worked just fine. The newer, wider lift-bowl is much better than the older model. I don't scrape my knuckles poking around at a dough or batter if I'm too lazy to lower the bowl and the wider bowl is also really helpful when adding liquids with the machine running. As another poster said, you can't really go wrong with either version. I would stick with the lift-head if I didn't have counter space on which to permanently park the lift-bowl mixer.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

KitchenAid bowl lift for the kinds of things you want to make. That's what I have. My daughter has a tilt-head and it is just not powerful enough to easily handle heavier doughs.