can I make ham ahead of time?

I would like to make ham for Christmas eve dinner and am wondering if I can bake the ham before we leave for church and then keep it in the oven on warm for the hour and a half we will be gone. I'm not sure if I should cut the ham before we go or right before we eat. I'm thinking if I slice it and then put it in the oven on warm it will dry out. Or, should I just try to time it so the ham will cook while we are gone and be done when we get home. I'm worried about overcooking it if I try cooking it while we are gone.

• Posted by: ktr
  • December 16, 2014

keg72
keg72 December 16, 2014

Are you talking about a fresh ham (white meat) or a cured or smoked ham (pink meat)?

ktr
ktr December 16, 2014

It is a smoked, fully cooked, boneless ham.

keg72
keg72 December 16, 2014

I personally don't like to leave the house with the oven on, but, if you are comfortable with that, then I would suggest cooking it while you're gone. I don't know the cooking instructions for your particular ham, but if you need to cook it longer than the instructions say, then you might consider dropping the temperature by 50-100 degrees. I would not pre-slice the ham.

HalfPint December 16, 2014

I agree about leaving an oven unattended. You never know what can happen even if the oven is set to warm. Since the ham is fully cooked, I would cook it to it is hot or to temperature, turn off the oven, and leave the ham in there until you get back from church service. You can slice it when you get home, since a whole ham will retain heat better than slices.

ktr
ktr December 16, 2014

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!