Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

judy bird query???

Morning.

I started last night to brine a12 lbs bird, but I added a thin layer of duck fat before I salted the bird-it helps the salt stick, and I thought it might add moisture. Now, 6 o'clock in the morning, I'm wondering if the duck fat is actually working against me and the salt must be in direct contact with the meat.

This is my first Thanksgiving, so I'm a little nervous.

-scott.

asked by scott about 2 years ago
1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

You want the salt to penetrate the turkey skin to reach the meat, so yes, direct contact. When ready to go in the oven, you could use the duck fat, instead of butter, to smear all over the bird. That would add moisture and delicious flavor as it roasts. (I'd scrape the fat off - saving it! - now, wash off the residue, dry, then reapply the brining salt.)

Amysarah has a good plan. Also, when dry brining, I also take some of the salt and spice mixture and rub it under the skin on the breasts and thighs.

F3a4504e 5c9a 4561 8d32 c7f051787db2  img 3223
thehappycook

Victoria is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Agreed that the salt needs to be in direct contact with the skin. I would also caution you when dry brining about putting too much of the salt mixture under the skin and wings as it absorbs directly into the meat and can then become too salty. I would put the duck fat on the bird before you bake it as the flavor and moisture will be absorbed by the turkey. There is no need to put the fat on while it is still in the refrigerator.

I started salting under the skin with salt, pepper and herbs after watching Brian and Michael Voltaggio use this method. It makes a huge, wonderful difference in flavor. Obviously, you have to be careful of the amount of salt which is true of any time that you use salt.