I'm planning on dry brining my turkey, then using the duck fat and technique for cooking from this: http://www.foodnetwork.... The recipe calls for separating the turkey, seasoning the turkey with salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar, then "marinating" overnight between layers of chopped up veggies. I think it makes more sense to dry brine the turkey, then separate it, and proceed with the cooking instructions from there. I don't see how the marination process is really going to add much to the bird, and don't understand the purpose of the vinegar. I wonder if I'm missing something. Any opinions/ideas?

Soozll

Well, some use an acid ingredient hoping to tenderize as well as flavor meat. The link didn't work, btw.

nutcakes

Try posting the link again. I'll read it.

http://www.foodnetwork...
I accidentally added a period to the end of the link. Sorry.

Abra Bennett

I wouldn't use that recipe. It's the salt that denatures the protein to keep the bird juicy, and although I'm no chemist, I think the vinegar is likely to "cook" the outside of the bird so the salt can't get in. The duck fat compound sounds good, but the whole technique sounds like a lot of work for an uncertain result.

Thanks, Abra. That reinforces my decision not to do the recipes marinating process.

innoabrd

Was looking back at my notes from last year's thanksgiving and I wrote, "Plain old roasting works fine, never doing complicated process with turkey again."