🔕 🔔

I'm planning on dry brining my turkey, then using the duck fat and technique for cooking from this: http://www.foodnetwork.... The recipe calls for separating the turkey, seasoning the turkey with salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar, then "marinating" overnight between layers of chopped up veggies. I think it makes more sense to dry brine the turkey, then separate it, and proceed with the cooking instructions from there. I don't see how the marination process is really going to add much to the bird, and don't understand the purpose of the vinegar. I wonder if I'm missing something. Any opinions/ideas?

asked about 7 years ago

Well, some use an acid ingredient hoping to tenderize as well as flavor meat. The link didn't work, btw.

Try posting the link again. I'll read it.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

http://www.foodnetwork...
I accidentally added a period to the end of the link. Sorry.

2ce4531e 275e 4d28 9c0a 00a62172217e  rays 2

I wouldn't use that recipe. It's the salt that denatures the protein to keep the bird juicy, and although I'm no chemist, I think the vinegar is likely to "cook" the outside of the bird so the salt can't get in. The duck fat compound sounds good, but the whole technique sounds like a lot of work for an uncertain result.

Thanks, Abra. That reinforces my decision not to do the recipes marinating process.

Was looking back at my notes from last year's thanksgiving and I wrote, "Plain old roasting works fine, never doing complicated process with turkey again."