crumbled cornbread for stuffing?

i'm making a cornbread stuffing for thursday and made the cornbread tonight so it would have time to dry out. when i went to crumble it, a lot of it turned into cornbread dust - you know what i mean, like very fine crumbs, not chunks like i'm guessing it should be for stuffing. if i use the dust is this going to be a hot mess? i'm picturing adding liquid and basically getting cornbread glue. however, i'm not sure how to avoid this if i were to make the cornbread again...

• Posted by: kitkat
  • November 25, 2014

Merrill Stubbs November 25, 2014

I think you should probably start again. Sounds like your cornbread recipe may be a dryish one to begin with -- you may want to cut it into cubes and toast them before making the stuffing, rather than crumbling it.

kitkat
kitkat November 26, 2014

i suspect you're right. thanks! hopefully the next version i make will be solid enough to cut into cubes (this one was pretty fluffy).

Yianna
Yianna November 26, 2014

I've added eggs to very dry croutons before and it worked well as a stuffing - it sets as it cooks unlike other liquids. But I agree with Merrill; it would be safer to start again.

kitkat
kitkat November 26, 2014

thanks!

cook4you
cook4you November 26, 2014

Even with the dust, you'll achieve the cornbread flavor. I would add in some bread cubes, extra moisture, and fold in cornbread last!