If I roast a turkey in a turkey bag, will the skin be crisp still? How do I ensure that it will come out crispy instead of soggy?

asked by Liana about 5 years ago

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

I've never tried this so I'm not familiar with the method. If you still have time, brining is a nice way to keep the meat moist and still get crispy skin on your turkey. A dry brine is very easy, and very effective. The Judy Bird is a great recipe -- http://food52.com/recipes....

My grandmother always roasts turkey tightly wrapped in foil, then opens up the foil for the last hour to crisp up the skin -- I imagine the same thing would happen if you cut open the bag toward the end of cooking, but I haven't used one recently myself. Hopefully others with more direct experience can comment too!

KaffeeAndKuchen

My Mother swears by using the bag - it does shorten cooking time, but works great. Our local fresh turkey stays super moist. And yes the skin gets nice and crispy. We do a dry brine and then rub the bird all over with butter.

Liana

Thank you all! I think I'll try it this year!