Q: I'm making the "Russ Parsons" Turkey—but mine is 19 pounds. Can you tell me how long the roast time should be? TY

Merrill Stubbs November 26, 2014

It sounds like it should be about 10 minutes or so per pound after the initial 30 minutes. I would start testing it at 3 1/2 hours (total cooking time).

Merrill Stubbs November 26, 2014

Ignore my answer! The expert weighed in below...

Kristen Miglore November 26, 2014

On the recipe page, someone with a 25-pound bird said theirs finished in about 3 hours -- it's best with this recipe to check the internal temperature early (I'd start checking at 2 hours), because it does cook much faster than non-brined birds. It's well-protected from the brining if you do overcook it, but still better to err on the side of caution.

Merrill Stubbs November 26, 2014

Kristen, do you mean it took 3 hours total (and starting to check at 2 hours total), or after the initial 30 minutes?

Kristen Miglore November 26, 2014

On the recipe page, Rogan said his 25-pound turkey took 3 hours total, which doesn't surprise me -- depending on the bird, the oven, and how long it's been brining, I've learned it can cook more quickly sometimes, so best to keep an eye on the internal temperature so it doesn't sneak up on you!