🔕 🔔

Kashk

Does anyone know how long can kashk keep, refrigerated? In a fit of Persian cooking I bought a jar a while back and still haven't made the particular recipe I bought it for. Now, Ottolenghi calls for it in Plenty More and I'm not sure if the jar I have is still good. My jar is kashk bibi. Thanks!!

asked by healthierkitchen almost 3 years ago

E75016e9 47b6 4c16 9726 60e0e83283ba  22073 1321490391675 6875987 n
Ali Slagle

Books Editor and Stylist at Food52.

Looks like it has a one-year shelf life when kept refrigerated: http://www.sayadmarket...

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

This looks like the same one I have. I just called the market where I bought it and she advised that "it should be good unopened for a few months in the refrigerator, but only good for a week or ten days once opened." Rather vague!

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Are we talking Kechk made from fermenting yoghurt, salt and wheat (usually cracked balger), is off white and has a yeasty smell? I know there are lots of different spellings (kishk, trahanas, &c) for it based on what language it's transliterated from.

If it is Kechk, this is usually powdered and in that state will keep for a year or so at room temp (unless pasteurized). I've never seen it in paste or dough form, but when I make the paste, it usually keeps for a week or three in the fridge before I get nervous and toss it. I think it would keep significantly longer, as it is a live culture food, but the flavour would probably change over time.

But if Kashk is something else... maybe you could tell me more about it, what it smells like, colour, is it powder or liquid or...? It's possible I know it but by a different name, or I can ask my Lebanese friend tomorrow about how long it will keep.

I believe it is a fermented yogurt product which is why I am even wondering if it's still good - with regular dairy I'd already have pitched it. I have not opened the jar so can't talk about smell. It is not a powder. It seems to have the consistency of sour cream or yogurt or creme fraiche even. I guess I can ask at the market where I bought it.

This looks like the one I have, thanks! Didn't think of googling it - thought maybe someone here has some hands on experience!