🔕 🔔

For those in the Philadelphia area, where can I find good preserve fillings for thumbprint cookies?

My family has always used traditional prune, apricot, or poppyseed preserve for dollop-ing on thumbprint cookies at Christmas, but since moving to the area I can't find them. Usually the bakery section of grocers and confectioners stocks it. Thanks!

asked by K_Squared over 2 years ago

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

You might try a Pennsylvania Dutch (Amish) market. I haven't gotten there yet, but there are several stalls at the Reading Terminal Market - supposed to be very good. Bell's Market also does eastern European products - went there once for Hungarian paprikas, but I'd bet they have those too - poppy seed and prune especially are used in many pastries from that area.

Wegman's or Whole Foods would probably have prune and apricot, not sure about poppyseed

1e4d7b52 fd4f 4798 ae19 d0f715768358  ry 400

I would check Di Bruno brothers, just off Rittenhouse Square. They have a pretty extensive offering of unusual gourmet spreads, etc.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Reading Terminal and DiBruno Bros would be my first two stops. There's lots of farmers markets in the area too, at least some of which will have vendors with what you're looking for. Eat This had a stall at my farmers market (now closed for the season) and they have great preserves; they're in Erwinna, about 30min north of Doylestown, and participate in markets all over the area. I've also had Two Sisters Canning, again from my farmers market; they're a relatively new business, but their products definitely have that small-batch taste.

What exact town/county are you in? I own a home in Bucks County, and can steer you if that area is within striking distance.

I love Bucks County!

6f85b483 fec3 4360 b32b cb06736820ab  twitterprofilepic

Have checked Wegmans (they gave me blank stares) and Whole Foods knew what I wanted but doesn't carry it. I'm located in Cherry Hill, NJ. I'll definitely check out Di Bruno & RT Market.

If you're in the Rittenhouse area, Di Brunos is a solid option, as commenters have mentioned. Whole Foods works too. And then, there's also the farmers market on Saturday mornings, where there is sometimes a stand that sells preserves.

The baking section of most grocery stores stock Solo Fillings that come in all those flavors you've mentioned.

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

Green Aisle Grocer on East Passyunk & Gray's ferry.. amazing flavors all handmade & locally sourced.