Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Christmas Side Dishes

The protein for the main course is a mustard and herb crusted rack of lamb with a port wine demi. I usually make a fingerling potato and brussels sprout hash to go with it but I want to change it up this year. Any suggestions on a starch and green vegg?

asked by Tony S almost 2 years ago
8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Roasted broccoli w Marcona almonds and smoked paprika, on the site. Maybe a potato gratin? I make spicy mashed sweet potatoes, v popular, w ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, mustard, hot pepper flakes, if you want to go lighter. No dairy, a little olive oil to hold everything together. Mashed w olive oil and garlic. Greens... Many elegant recipes on the site. I like spinach and mushroom duxelles w lamb.

luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

48361945 4c0d 4900 a4fb fead7055d98f  stringio

How about Greek roasted potatoes with fresh lemon juice and Greek oregano, and a good Olive oil. For a green side, sauté fresh spinach with pine nuts and golden raisins or Southern Living's Orange Romaine salad.

I'd like something to soak up that port wine demi -- maybe some mashed potatoes or polenta? How about sauteed Swiss chard with onions and garlic for the green veg.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

For years I did roast beef - usually either prime rib or tenderloin - with a port wine reduction (been changing it up lately, but it was sort of the tradition.) Homemade spaetzle, browned with sauteed mushrooms was a big fave with that sauce - I think it would be great with roast lamb too. Alternately, rice pilaff with sauteed onions and mushrooms is also a good sauce-catcher, and less work. Green beans (thin haricots verts if available,) lightly steamed, then sauteed with sliced almonds always feels festive, in a nice old school way.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Luvcookbooks, your spicy sweet potatoes sound delicious! Do you have set measurements on the ingredients or do you just wing it? If you have measurements, care to share?

C830e304 7708 4f5e 92a5 c58e8b0ac4d7  rye

If you're looking for a potato dish, a really simple way to make your mashed potatoes amazing is to bake them whole first, then scoop out the middles and mash with cream and butter. This way they don't absorb any water during cooking and will be fluffy and rich.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Farofa.Brazilian's first choice on starch...it's made out of yuka meal with sauté onions and garlic.You can use butter or olive oil,or chopped bacon.There are lots of variation,you can add eggs(scramble them in the onion/garlic mix before you add the yuka),or banana slices(after the yuka)...To go with the Brazilian theme,slice some kale really fine(make a roll with the leaves) and just sauté them for 2 min, in olive oil and garlic.Merry Xmas.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Sonali's mashed potatoes with caramelized onions is delicious. So is sdebrango's haricots verts and cherry tomato warm salad.

ATK has a wonderful roasted beet and carrot salad that is delish as a side to beef! You can make it early in the day and let it sit on the counter at room temp.

ATK has a wonderful roasted beet and carrot salad that is delish as a side to most any meea! You can make it early in the day and let it sit on the counter at room temp. In the same collection they have a roasted green bean and tiny red potato salad.