A question about a recipe: Variegated Spiced Latkes

92c9e68f caf5 4400 8158 1e33e909af4b  2016 1031 variegated spiced latkes bobbi lin 11456

I have a question about the recipe "Variegated Spiced Latkes" from Sagegreen. I am hoping for ideas on how to bring these to an office potluck, that only has a microwave...? I was thinking about maybe bringing a griddle and a little extra oil to heat them up?

asked by meet your baker over 3 years ago

My experience is that microwaves destroy crispiness. But the recipe for variegated spiced latkes is so tasty I wanted to find a way to keep it. First thought of dumping the oil completely, suggesting you make a kugel (casserole) of all the other ingredients and reheat in mw. But nixed that as it eliminates oil (the connection to Hanukkah). So here's my riff - pan roast or shallow fry the cut or shredded root veggies in good oil, then mix with spices, eggs & flour, bake at 350F about 20 minutes....just enough to set the eggs, don't need longer as your veg are already cooked. Then save in fridge. Reheat/complete the cooking in mw. You won't have all the crispiness of fried latkes, but you will have sagegreen's flavor, and fried veg. What do you think?

These Fig and Blue Cheese savories get high marks for office parties.
https://food52.com/recipes...

Want to respectfully suggest you do not bring latkes to the office. They will be soggy and unappetizing. As Nancy mentions, microwaves and latkes don't mix. Plus, everyone else will want to use the microwave. Reduce the office stress, bring the Savouries that Sam1148 mentions or something like them. I don't know what it is about them - very few ingredients - but everyone I know loves them (including me).

p.s. Although now that I'm thinking about it, if your office "knees up" is at the start of the workday, I wouldn't go with the Savouries which are blue cheese. They don't go well with coffee. What time is your office thing?