This seems like a lot of milk to me

Looking for a very simple oven only rice pudding recipe for today, and I came across this Bittman's recipe online. http://markbittman.com...

4 cups milk, to 1/3 cup dry rice - could that possibly be right?

Could you let me know asap, as I'm eager to get this in the oven. Or if you have a favourite oven only rice pudding recipe, please let me know.

Susan W December 17, 2014

Hang tight. I have my Yia Yia's best friends recipe. Just need to dig it out. I remember loving it. Some of the comments under Mark's recipe didn't love it, some did. Back in a flash.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 17, 2014

Holding tight.

Susan W December 17, 2014

Found it, but it's a stovetop version and it calls for converted rice. Just for comparison, it calls for 8 cups milk, 1 cup rice, 1/2 cup sugar, 4 eggs and 1 TBS vanilla.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 17, 2014

wow, 8 to ,1 milk to rice ratio. I guess bittman's recipe isn't too far off.
Thanks for that. Going to give it a try with 1/4 cup rice to 2 cups milk, see what that does.

Susan W December 17, 2014

Trampled, Marika's calls for 4 eggs, so in that respect, it makes the 8-1 ratio make sense. 8-1 with no eggs sounds too thin and milky for my tastes. I like a custardy rice pudding. With chocolate chips stirred in. :)

C Sangueza
C Sangueza December 17, 2014

Here is one from Susan Hermann-Loomis's French Farmhouse cookbook I made when my daughter was in French class. Its very good

3/4 cup short grain rice, rinsed
3/4 cup plus 2 T sugar
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
8 cups cold whole milk

Preaheaat oven to 375, Place the rice in a large earthenware bowl. Add the sugar and sprinkle the salt and cinnamon over all. Pour in the cold milkand place the bowl in the center or the oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours turn the temp to 215 and cook for 2 more hours. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving.

It is creamy and not too sweet. She says the earthenware bowl is important don't use glass or enamel. She also recommends raw milk if available.

Nancy December 17, 2014

Trampled - I agree. Katzen's recipe in Moosewood (a standby) uses 3 to 3.5 cup milk for 1c brown rice. It's not oven-only, but very tasty, reliable, probably adaptable to oven. see Http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?Recipe=rice_pudding

ChezHenry
ChezHenry December 17, 2014

Its correct. Low and slow in the oven, and rice is very absorbent. When eating as a vegetable/grain component of a meal, you want some mouth feel. Not so for pudding-rice can absorb alot more liquid than we are used to with our daily cooking.

Susan W December 17, 2014

Oh that's true. It's cooked well beyond what we think of as properly cooked rice. 8-1 though with no eggs still sounds wet. I hope trampled reports back.

I'm now craving rice pudding and/or tapioca.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese December 17, 2014

Really interesting learning about oven only rice pudding. I would never have thought that much liquid to rice. Glad to learn something new.

I discovered that I only had 1 cup of milk in the fridge. So instead of using 1/16th cup of rice, I decided for my family's leftover rice pudding recipe. pre-cooked rice, handful of raisins, few drops maple syrup (because milk is really sweet to us) milk to almost cover, stir, bake till milk is absorbed. Not as delicious as oven only, but I got a good deal more pudding for my milk.

Next time I have a full liter of milk in the house, I hope to try the oven only method. I think one with eggs might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone.

caninechef
caninechef December 18, 2014

I do not have a recipe and have never made rice puddding but it was a staple of my Mom, always made only in the oven and no eggs. I remember being amazed as she would use maybe a couple of tablespoons of rice for a family size dessert. She probalby was using a quart of milk but that is a guess.

aargersi December 18, 2014

I have made the Bittman recipe as written and yeah, it works! Seems crazy but it thickens and evaporates and it's AWESOME! Make sure to stir now and again.

Now I want some.
ps - some coconut milk in there is good too

Susan W December 18, 2014

Abbie, I saw on his comments that some thought he meant 1/2 cup rice and 1/3 cup sugar. You did it with the 1/3 cup rice? I have one more carton of Aroyo coconut milk (only 8.5 oz) so I'll have to do part milk, part cm.

aargersi December 18, 2014

Yeah it seems like no way it will work, but it does! Trust the Bittman :-)