🔕 🔔

Alternative Christmas meal?

This Christmas my husband and I will be eating no less than three traditional roast meat Christmas meals. We've been asked to cook an additional meal at my father-in-law's place - any ideas for something to break up the heavy roast meat monotony but keep the festive feel?

asked by BurntCream almost 3 years ago

Go to some cuisines you like/are experienced in/have connections to. Find their festive menus and if possible, import to Christmas. Then you'll have something truly festive and reliably good tasting. Possibilities include Italian seven fishes dinner (served Christmas eve), Persian new year feast, vegetarian mains/menu from reliable chef/cook like Jamie Oliver or Yotam Ottolenghi.

My exstended family always loves a "cocktail party" Christmas Eve Menu filled with a wonderful array of appetizers, dips, antipasta etc. I ussually round out with a green salad ( with festive ingredients) and a baked pasta for kids or fussy people. Last New Years I served Ina Garten's baked Scampi, wonderful unless you have an adversion to serious butter. We are butter fans but I think even I cut it back.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

A whole salt baked fish is great looking and great tasting, and great fun when you bash the salt apart:

https://food52.com/recipes...

Then go with lighter / different sides (whole grains, great salads) and you're there!!

We like to have fondue in these situations. One cheese, one broth or oil, one chocolate with a large variety of goodies to dip.

420908ad 651e 46ac b88a 9cfbd6c602e3  open uri20141010 31964 ysrmyy

Go for the fish or pic something you realy like and make that it is a celbration so we shouth have some thing we like