Looking for Le Creuset braiser recipes & suggestions!

I am a student and received a 1.4L Le Creuset braiser for Christmas (YAY!) - it's the first piece of kitchenware I have other than a stovetop pot, pan and baking sheet. Despite my lack of accoutrements I'm not a newbie in the kitchen, but I am new to this wonderful and versatile cookware, so I'm looking for any fantastic recipes, tips, unexpected uses or great links/cookbooks to start off. This community was my first stop!

Thanks! :)

asked by hungrymarquise over 3 years ago

Congratulations! The only thing that's lasted longer than my Le Creuset are my student loans. :-)

Click on the magnifying glass in the top upper right toolbar on the screen (next to the shopping cart), type in "stew" and choose "in Recipes" from the pull down menu on the right, then search. You'll see a lot of great recipes. I made the "Secret Ingredient Stew" this weekend with my nephew and it was delicious - although a lot of work because we needed to double it. Fortunately he thinks being allowed to use a knife for two hours by himself is very cool.

Someday you'll probably also need this cleaning tip, if you get some burned build-up in the pot (also works for other types of pots):

Fill the pot with water, bring to a boil. Add about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. Just approximate, doesn't have to be precise. It will get foamy and then subside. Let boil for about 1-2 minutes and turn off the heat. Let the water completely cool to room temperature, drain water, and scrape the burned stuff with a wooden implement - like a flat-ended wooden spoon/paddle. You may need to repeat the process.

p.s. Never use steel wool (or things like S.O.S. pads) to clean your enameled, cast iron pot. Other than a wood tool, you could use a mesh plastic scrubber or the stiffer side of a double-sided sponge. But to preserve the enamel, you're better off repeating the baking soda & vinegar process and using a wooden spatula to scrape.

By the way, I don't know of anyone, including myself, who has never had any build-up on the bottom, so don't feel like you're doing something terribly wrong if it happens! Obviously you want to pay attention to the heat and don't want to scorch your food, but when braising and simmering foods for a long time, it's hard to avoid some residue.

If you're not vegetarian... This is truly delicious: Brazilian Feijoada (meats, rice, oranges and more).
From saveur.com
http://www.saveur.com/article...
http://www.saveur.com/article...

The links are for two different recipes

Or look at Molly katzen recipe from moosewood cb for black bean soup...essentially vegetarian feijoada.