A question about a recipe: New England Spider Cake

C86dff6b f259 4268 aa20 4f17de5a5fed  2014 1010 new england spider cake 018

I have a question about the recipe "New England Spider Cake" from Sarah Jampel. Why didn't my milk curdle after adding vinegar?

asked by MarieH over 3 years ago

You usually need to heat the mixture for it to really curdle. For this recipe, you're only souring the milk which can thicken it slightly.

I let mine sit the full ten minutes and as I poured it, there were thicker areas. Sort of like blobs of soft yogurt. Did yours not do anything?

I thought of something else. If your milk is ultra pasteurized, it may not thicken at all. The first time I made creme fraiche, I grabbed ultra pasteurized by mistake and it didn't work.

MarieH

Thanks! My milk was whole and not ultra. It did not seem different to me after a good 15 minutes. However, the cake was absolutely delicious!

Thats so odd. I used plain old distilled white vinegar and it worked well both times. It is a wonderful cake.