Dump It Cake - Too Much Vinegar/ Only Skim Milk in House

Sooo, I realized I added 1 T vinegar instead of 1 t vinegar to the milk... haven't added it to the cake yet. Should I start over with milk and the correct amount of vinegar? Thing is, i didn't have whole milk, so cleverly made some with half and half plus skim milk. Now all I have on hand is skim milk. I am guessing that the teaspoon of vinegar plus the SKIM milk will just mean the cake is not quite as rich... what say you all? Thanks!!!

hardlikearmour April 3, 2012

I'd start over and just use the skim milk w/ correct amount vinegar. The extra vinegar could cause trouble with the cake's chemistry, and you definitely don't want a vinegary taste to the cake. There's enough butter in the cake that I'd be surprised if you could tell a difference between skim and whole in a blind taste test :-)

calendargirl
calendargirl April 3, 2012

Oh, thank you hardlikearmour! So glad you saw this. What if I were to add one cup of buttermilk instead of the skim milk plus 1 teaspoon vinegar?

hardlikearmour April 3, 2012

I suspect the buttermilk would work just fine.

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly April 4, 2012

I wish I'd seen this earlier - to add my 2 cents. I've made this cake about 60 times since the 15th of December. I've made it with champagne vinegar, a combination of skimmed milk and cream, with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, with 2 cups of water instead of 1....and they've all been gobbled up in MINUTES. In fact, I've blogged about it (http://www.kitchenbutterfly.com/2012/02/17/chocolate-dump-it-all-cake-a-la-hesser/), saying: there's hardly a thing you can do to get this recipe to fail! Its definitely the most-requested cake in my house, and in my office.

calendargirl
calendargirl April 4, 2012

The cake in its buttermilk iteration was terrific, Kitchen Butterfly, as you knew it would be. I loved your blog post and am now keen to make this every which way. Such a great recipe. And thanks so much for your two cents --- it was worth a million!