🔕 🔔

Dump It Cake - Too Much Vinegar/ Only Skim Milk in House

Sooo, I realized I added 1 T vinegar instead of 1 t vinegar to the milk... haven't added it to the cake yet. Should I start over with milk and the correct amount of vinegar? Thing is, i didn't have whole milk, so cleverly made some with half and half plus skim milk. Now all I have on hand is skim milk. I am guessing that the teaspoon of vinegar plus the SKIM milk will just mean the cake is not quite as rich... what say you all? Thanks!!!

asked by calendargirl over 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd start over and just use the skim milk w/ correct amount vinegar. The extra vinegar could cause trouble with the cake's chemistry, and you definitely don't want a vinegary taste to the cake. There's enough butter in the cake that I'd be surprised if you could tell a difference between skim and whole in a blind taste test :-)

4f98639e b8b3 42cd 9b01 ec8a503c5fdd  2010 09 15 14.22.07

Oh, thank you hardlikearmour! So glad you saw this. What if I were to add one cup of buttermilk instead of the skim milk plus 1 teaspoon vinegar?

I suspect the buttermilk would work just fine.

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

I wish I'd seen this earlier - to add my 2 cents. I've made this cake about 60 times since the 15th of December. I've made it with champagne vinegar, a combination of skimmed milk and cream, with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, with 2 cups of water instead of 1....and they've all been gobbled up in MINUTES. In fact, I've blogged about it (http://www.kitchenbutterfly...), saying: there's hardly a thing you can do to get this recipe to fail! Its definitely the most-requested cake in my house, and in my office.

The cake in its buttermilk iteration was terrific, Kitchen Butterfly, as you knew it would be. I loved your blog post and am now keen to make this every which way. Such a great recipe. And thanks so much for your two cents --- it was worth a million!