What should I make with a big, fresh tuna steak for 2 -- I haven't cooked fish in years!

I have a pretty well-stocked kitchen, and really want to taste the tuna without overwhelming it. Thank you!

Rachel Christensen is the Director of Audience Development for Food52.

ktr
ktr

I'd probably go with roasted broccoli with an Asian sauce. The recipe I normally use isn't on here but I'm sure there are plenty here that would be great.

ktr
ktr

I forgot to say, the recipe I use has a teriyaki sauce.

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

Wonderful idea! I actually just came back from the store and bought broccoli on a whim. This is a sign.

arcane54

Lucky you to have some fresh tuna! I agree with ktr that Asian flavors go so well with tuna! soy, ginger, garlic, honey, mustard, toasted sesame oil are my go-to marinade ingredients when tuna is in season here. I also make Lydia Bastianich's tuna tonnato (a riff on veal tonnato and easy to find on the web) with some intense flavors: mustard, garlic and anchovies. Tuna has an assertive flavor, so it can stand up to other strong flavors without disappearing.

Alexandra V. Jones

Grilled fish tacos mid rare!

Alexandra V. Jones

Grilled fish tacos mid rare!

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

ah this sounds so good!

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

ah this sounds so good!

I know it's not in season, but a cucumber salad (with choice of tomato, feta, onion, melon, cilantro or mint) or a cucumber relish (diced fibe, with vinaigrette, mint and one or two aromatics of choice) both complement but don't overwhelm fresh tuna.

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

i'll keep this in my back pocket for the summer!

My brother goes deep sea fishing for tuna in San Diego quite a bit. Before he fills my mom's freezer with it, we always make ceviche tacos or tostadas with it. Rick Bayless has a good tuna ceviche recipe with cilantro and avocados. It's best with super fresh tuna. Ice cold Mexican beer goes nicely. Chili spiked chocolate mousse is our traditional dessert.

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

now we're talking!

Another good one is Eric Ripert's pan seared tuna with a basil, cilantro and thyme chimichurri served over arugula tossed with some of the chimichurri. It's published in Food and Wine and available online. I think we only had dried thyme, so we skipped it. It was delicious.

Rachel Christensen
Rachel Christensen

i actually have fresh cilantro and basil in the fridge right now!