I have been making a recipe of chocolate chip bars with a crunchy meringue topping for years. Today the meringue came out soggy and didn't ri

I made the entire batch a second time with the same sad results. Would anyone have an idea as to what could have made the meringue soggy? Oven temp 375, 9x12 pan I just cannot figure out what happened. Thank you one and all for input.

• Posted by: see
  • January 20, 2015

jilhil
jilhil January 20, 2015

Is your weather really humid today? Humidity can affect meringue texture.

see
see January 20, 2015

Thanks for the reply. It is cold where I live, heat is on in the house and it doesn't feel humid at all.

Tina Vera
Tina Vera January 20, 2015

Was is humid inside? We're you maybe running your clothes dryer, or shower? Something on the bottom of your oven? Lastly, is it possible your dishwasher isn't thoroughly rinsing your equipment, beaters , bowls etc. Hope you figure it out, they sound delicious!

see
see January 20, 2015

Soggy topping or not...they truly are delicious. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

drbabs January 20, 2015

Do you have a different oven? I made meringues with no problem in every electric oven I owned, but now that I have gas, they are very temperamental. If I keep a pizza stone in the bottom, the temperature stays more uniform and I have better results.

TobiT
TobiT January 20, 2015

I don't have an answer for you, but the recipe sounds yummy! Can you post it or a link?

see
see January 20, 2015

Here's the recipe. Good luck with that tricky topping. I know you will love them. http://www.food.com/recipe...

deedee1200
deedee1200 January 20, 2015

Did you test the baking powder before making the recipe? If it has expired, or for some reason isn't as active as it should be, that could be negatively affecting the meringue, particularly its rise.

HalfPint January 21, 2015

There is no baking powder in the meringue topping, so it's not the problem of old baking powder.