A question about a recipe: Punjabi Buttermilk Stew with Spinach Dumplings

4012f4a1 d36e 4eba 9486 f7402a454c84  2015 0112 punjabi buttermilk stew 2576

I have a question about the recipe "Punjabi Buttermilk Stew with Spinach Dumplings" from Shveta Berry. What are the ingredients in Chaat Masala

asked by CurioCook over 3 years ago

Top 3 ingredients by volume are black salt, amchur (powdered mango), cumin. See Indiabrood.com or Wikipedia for more details. Looks like a trio to little India (if your city gas one) specialty spice store or website like kalustyan's.

Trip to Little India. If your city has one. (Sorry bad typing).

I hate spelling errors. Should be: Indian food.com, trip to Little India.

CurioCook

Thanks, Nancy! I was hoping the author might be able to share her preferred ratios… I live in NZ and sometimes finding the mixes is hit or miss… prefer to mix my own :)

Glad I was of help. Author may yet answer...they often see these threads a little later than the rest of us.

Panfusine

Chat Masala is one of those salt blends which every brand has its own formula and proportions , but the constants are salt, black salt, toasted cumin, crushed pepper corn and amchur. Modernist cuisine (of all the possible Indian cookbooks on earth,!!) as a recipe that I thought is pretty good.
Coriander seeds - 1/3 cup
Cumin seeds 2 tbsp
Ajwain (bishopsweed) 1.5 tsp
black peppercorn 1 tsp
dried chillies 1/2 tsp

toast these at 340 F on a baking sheet for ~ 8 - 10 min until the aromas bloom and then combine with the following
Black salt 1.5 tbsp
aamchur 1.25 tsp
dried pomegranate seed powder 1.25 tsp

powder all these ina coffee grinder and then sift thru a sieve.

Droplet

Panfusine, where authenticity for its own sake is important, what would be the proper type of cumin to use, regular or the black variety (kala jeera?). Thank you

Panfusine

@droplet.. the regular cumin, plus, I would cut down on the coriander seeds as well, most other versions don't usually have that as the prominent flavor. Its the cumin, aamchur and the black salt that are the 'stars' of a traditional chaat masala.

Droplet

Thanks a lot, Panfusine :)

Adriana Parente

@CurioCook, panfusine will always give you the deepest, most authentic answer. She is brilliant and so generous.

Bruce

Ask google. You will have the answer in 30 seconds