🔕 🔔

I want to make this recipe for buttermilk oatmeal bread, but I don't have any buttermilk. I've heard that you can make buttermilk with lemon juice and regular milk, but don't know how much to add to make it right. I need one cup of buttermilk... anyone?

asked by Martin69 over 6 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Use about 1 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or white vinegar to 1 cup regular milk. Stir it in and you'll see it actually thicken and sort of curdle. The same principle works for soymilk.

Efd725c4 24ec 436a 9adb bc31157de14b  mejan08

Awesome! Thanks, off to bake now!

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Per Cooks Illustrated you add 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, white vinegar, or cream of tartar to 1 cup milk, and let the milk stand for 10 minutes. They say lemon juice is best, due to potential off-flavors from the vinegar and cream of tartar.

There is potential for off-flavors from vinegar if you use too much, but I've found that in bread, vinegar can work even better. It depends on how much you're relying on the acid/baking soda or powder reaction to lift your bread. In a yeasted bread, I'm more likely to use lemon juice. In a quick bread, I'm more likely to use vinegar because I get a loftier height to my loaf. Sometimes, if I'm using very dense and heavy flours, I even use 1 tsp of each (lemon juice and cider vinegar).

I used 1 tsp of lemon and it didn't curdle, but I used it as was... I guess I'll see how it goes. If not too good, I'll use a Tbsp next time. Thanks for all the help.