Mushroom barley soup

Want to make mushroom barley soup today, but out of barley. Don't want to go to the store in this weather. Would lentils make a weird substitute for barley? Thanks.

asked by leigh frat over 3 years ago

There are lots of recipes for lentil mushroom soup out there, so not weird at all. You'll just need to adjust the cooking time so your lentils don't overcook.

Or think of barley as a grass/grain and substitute for it rice, pasta, wheat berries , quinoa, couscous.

leigh frat

Thanks. I was thinking about another grain too. I like the texture the barley gives the soup. It will be a good excuse to dig through my pantry.