How do I store pre-made meringues for floating islands dessert?

Hi! I have seen that Floating Islands (poached meringue in crème anglaise) can be made ahead of time. How ahead of time can I made the meringue? How should I store it?? Thank you!

hardlikearmour February 10, 2015

Make sure the meringues are dry through and through, then store in an airtight container. Any moisture will make them soften (be it from their own interior or the atmosphere). They will typically hold for 2-3 days.

bigpan
bigpan February 10, 2015

I recall a nice restaurant in Paris that displayed the floating islands on a platter of creme in the window - and served from there.
Keeping them air tight is right, but let them come to room temp and "float" before serving.

In Vero Veritas
In Vero Veritas February 11, 2015

Wonderful, thank you very much!

Nancy February 11, 2015

Agree with HLA about air-tight & duration. You didn't sat where or temp. I was taught room temp. Agree, other?

In Vero Veritas
In Vero Veritas February 11, 2015

Seems everyone agrees, thank you Nancy!

nashama
nashama February 11, 2015

Room temp, definitely. Refrigerators are humid environments and will soften the meringue for sure.

In Vero Veritas
In Vero Veritas February 11, 2015

Thank you nashama! :)

ChefJune February 11, 2015

Whatever you do, do NOT put them in the fridge. They will turn spongy and be unusable.

In Vero Veritas
In Vero Veritas February 11, 2015

Thank you, Chef June! Noted.

Cav
Cav February 11, 2015

I'm gonna go a little against the flow here. As it's a poached Meringue, not dried out in the oven, it's perfectly okay to store it in the fridge for a few hours. It's supposed to be soft and moist. They will need to be in an air-tight container (to keep out any strong aromas from the fridge) and on kitchen paper, to absorb excess moisture from the poaching liquid. The downside to this is that they can deflate a little over time, so I'd be looking to cook them to order.

In Vero Veritas
In Vero Veritas February 11, 2015

This is what I was thinking- thank you for writing! I'll do a test run tonight. Would you happen to have an opinion about poaching in water vs milk? Think one would be better?