Re-hydrate cherries for scones

I'm going to make cherry scones for breakfast tomorrow and was considering re-hydrating them. Would there be any negative impacts if I'm using the Scone of Destiny recipe? If not, should I re-hydrate in water, or something more interesting like Grand Marnier or a cherry liqueur?

asked by Fat Tony over 3 years ago

I happen to like them dried. You could rehydrate them in water (then pat dry), but without seeing the recipe not sure how a liqueur would work. I've heard of the Stone of the Castle of Scone (the ancient stone where they crowned kings in Scotland) but have never seen the matching scone recipe! :-)

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

It should be fine to rehydrate your cherries with water, or with any liquid whose flavor you think would be good in the scones. The recipe you refer to does that anyway with the raisins and currants it calls for. I would probably do just water, since cherries are already so flavorful. I'm not sure if you're suggesting this, but I wouldn't soak overnight, just for a short time while you preheat the oven and get together the dough. Too long and you'll start to leach flavor from the fruit.

Fat Tony

Sounds like a plan, thank you both.