Spring, meet grill pan—on sale for $99! Shop now »

My Dad put a plastic mat under the meatloaf while it baked in the oven. Is the meatloaf still safe to eat? (Worried about fumes)

The plastic mat the meatloaf rested on completely melted, and I’m worried the oven may have trapped potentially toxic toxic fumes which then permeated the food. On the other hand, the meatloaf took a long time to make and I don’t want to throw it out if I don’t have to. Thanks in advance for your help!

asked by Alexandra about 2 years ago

Hi Alexandra... don't you hate it when kitchen snafus happen?! Yes, by "components" I meant fumes/vapor/molecules, which are probably toxic, have infiltrated the food. Can't blame your Dad for trying to be tidy... I just use partchment paper or foil on top of a baking sheet for easy clean-up. As far as the pyrex dish goes, I'd use it again but first sterilize it in the dishwasher or soak it in a sinkful of boiling water with dish soap. Sorry the meatloaf had to go but better luck next time! :-)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I agree with Pegeen ... and confine your dad to washing and drying only !

I agree with Pegeen. Throw it out, and have your dad take you out to dinner.

Alexandra, I hope you tossed that meat loaf. And I am SO sorry to have to say that. But there's no such thing as safe plastic to eat. Even not melted, it would have leached the chemicals in it into your food. Since the pan was Pyrex, you can probably save it with a good scrub and a sanitizing wash in the dishwasher. But that's optional. Depends upon how tightly the melted plastic is melded to the pan.