Fish at room temperature...

From home to the grocery store, I had whole fish at around room temperature for an hour. It's in the fridge, ready to cook tomorrow. It smells like fish (and the ocean!) but not fishy.

• Posted by: EG1231
  • February 22, 2015

C Sangueza
C Sangueza February 22, 2015

You should be fine, I think the danger starts as about 3 hours at room temp. Hopefully one of the experts will tune-in.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 22, 2015

They way you store fish makes a huge difference in its outcome. Always store wrapped seafood on ice (that is in a plastic bag)in some non-leaking open- top container. Put this in the bottom rear corner of your frig- where it is the coldest. Since learning about this technique a few years ago, we have seen remarkably good results. We also store all raw poultry, meat in that lower rear corner.

ChefJune February 22, 2015

I always rewrap the fish after bringing it home - before storing it in the fridge. Even if I'm cooking it the next day. And I put that package atop a bowl of ice water.