What is the ratio for substituting fresh ginger with powder?

asked by Rachelwrites over 3 years ago

Don't know a ginger- specific rule. But for most herbs, 3:1 fresh to dry works. Failing better in for, start with 1/3 of the fresh amount called for, taste & adjust.

From livestrong,com, "You may need to experiment to find just the right amount to use in your dish. The Cook's Thesaurus reports that 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root is equal to 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger. At Food.com the recommended equivalent is 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger for 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger."

Better info than my guesstimate; I''ll use your ratios now.

nashama

I'm with Le Bec Fin on this one - the two have vastly different tastes to me and are not swappable.