A question about a recipe: Simple Sesame & Garlic Noodles

F50b9b00 23c0 4667 bc2a 05e276705fa0  19641430576 0951fc0da2 b

I have a question about the recipe "Simple Sesame & Garlic Noodles" from boymeetsgirlmeetsfood. Should I use the dark toasted sesame oil or the untoasted cold pressed variety? (I have both on hand)

asked by Panfusine over 3 years ago

paseo

The dark, toasted has the flavor and is more of a finishing oil. The cold pressed would not add much. Sniff them both and see what you think.

Panfusine

Unfortunately for testing purposes, I can't make that call.

paseo

Whoops, next time I will read the recipe before spouting off - use the cold pressed for cooking and if you want a more pronounced sesame flavor, maybe add a bit of toasted to taste.

The conventional wisdom is that the deep flavor of dark sesame oil cooks out when heated, such as in this dish. I'd use a light oil - probably peanut, because it's what I have - for the cooking and the dark for finishing.

The dark is so much more expensive, too, thus making it impractical for use in larger quantities. ;o)

Panfusine

I use the regular un-toasted sesame oil in daily cooking (its the traditional oil of choice for most South Indian dishes) and the toasted variety for drizzling. I'm leaning towards using the former for the sauteing & the darker kind for the extra kick in flavor, & also the darker variety is more used in Oriental cuisine than Indian. But then again, its not my call since I want to test the recipe as close to how its owner intended it. Am I being too picky?

Usually dark toasted would be specified from my experience. If I was me testing, I'd use untoasted cold pressed variety. Hope the recipe author clarifies for you.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Why not message the author and ask what he/she used?

Panfusine

Just did that.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Panfusine: Please let us know which oil if you get a response. Thanks!

Panfusine

Absolutely will do that.

boymeetsgirlmeetsfood

Hi there!
We use untoasted sesame oil- we toast it lightly by warming it in the pan before adding the first ingredients. Enjoy!
Priya