Persian Dried Limes: Should Seeds be Removed?

I'm making 'My Mom's Rice' dish in Balaboosta. I got the Persian dried limes and have been reading up on how neat they are, but i thought I read SOMEwhere that the seeds are bitter and should be removed. The recipe just says to halve the dried limes and add them to the stew. Anyone? Thx much.

asked by LE BEC FIN over 3 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

LE BEC FIN - It seems that most of the time cooks leave the limes whole when adding to stews, so hopefully the author of the recipe might answer your question. I've found an article from the NY Times that I thought might assist you with your question. Here's the link http://www.nytimes.com...

Not definitive but/and I''ve cooked with Persian limes a few times, had fine results just reconstituting them with water and seen nothing written about the seeds being bitter.

If I throw the whole dried lime into a braise, I don't remove the seeds--but if I cut the lime open or pulverize it, I discard them

ariel a

All of the Persian cooks in my family usually, if not always, leave the seeds in.