Thanks. The soup is red pepper with ginger and fennel. I think the cream is just for finishing. Coconut milk was my idea for sub

• Posted by: @ep3runs
  • December 30, 2010

Kayb
Kayb December 30, 2010

Coconut milk will work, as would almond milk or soy milk. You may need to add a bit of cornstarch for thickening purposes.

cheekoli
cheekoli December 30, 2010

Of course there is soymilk, and other nut and grain milks; almond milk rice milk, etc. I agree with the above that you should try to choose a complimentary flavor profile. My favorite is coconut milk, i think its usable just about anywhere you would use milk/cream.

Remember that coconut milk also comes in various fat percentages, just like regular milk, so you could use coconut cream here for a richer taste and more body, probably the original intent of the cream. If you don't have coconut cream, you can always refrigerate a can of milk and skim the thick part from the top.

For a more neutral flavor profile, you can try adding some blended silken tofu, which is generally substitutable 1:1 for cream in dishes like this, or thin it out with one of the above mentioned milks.