Bread

How do I get more "air holes" in my bread

asked by Nick C over 3 years ago

Molly Fuller

I "think" it has to do with how much air is in the flour...
Try sifting before you measure....if you weigh unsifted flour and compare measurements, the sifted will weigh less.

Yes, the higher the hydration (water content) of your dough, the greater the chance of obtaining what is referred to as an open, irregular crumb. Here are some links that may help you understand the concept and the process and how to handle wetter, or slack, doughs better:

https://food52.com/recipes...
https://thesolitarycook...
https://thesolitarycook...

Yes, wetter dough and also - I often make a double batch, bake one loaf that day and leave the other in the fridge to bake later (sometimes as much as a week.) That second loaf, with the very long slow rise, is always much airier and open textured than the first.

Posie (Harwood) Brien

Adding on to sfmiller's excellent answer -- if you're not using bread flour or a higher protein flour, try that. The protein is what develops the gluten and will give your bread more structure, which will preserve all the holes made by the yeast.

When I'm making a rustic loaf (wanting lots of "holes") I like to let the dough rise in the fridge for a couple of days. I punch it down and let it rise again usually three times before forming the loaf.

Jim Lahey
Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey is known for his innovative no-knead bread recipe, popularized by the New York Times; he is the Founder/Owner of Sullivan Street Bakery, Chef/Partner of Co. Restaurant, and is the acclaimed cookbook author of "My Bread" and "My Pizza."

In order to provide you with the best answer, please answer the following questions!
-How long did you bake for?
-How long did you ferment for?
-What was the inside and outside temperature?
-Are you measuring in weight or volume?
-What type of flour? What brand?
-Did you check on it every couple of hours and shake it or move it around?
-What type of yeast did you use? And, how old is it?

These will allow me to get a better idea of what you're working with.
Please also send photographs of your finished bread - inside and outside! These will all help me. Thanks!

Nick C

Thank you for your desire to help me; I will answer these questions soon as the bread I just made is already gone (before I got your text). Thank you again, and I have two of your books and use your recipes often.