Children's portable snacks

As some of you know, I'm teaching a class called The Happy Kitchen--a combination nutrition and cooking class--at the YMCA. We had a new group of students this week. One said that her 6 year old daughter has two after school sports on the same day with about an hour break in between. She is, understandably, hungry, and tends to only eat commercial granola bars. Other than fruit and sandwiches (which the child apparently doesn't like), can you give me some suggestions for healthy, low sugar, nutritious, filling portable snacks? (Mom is willing to do some cooking but is not an experienced cook, so nothing too complicated or difficult.) Thanks all!

Stephanie G

If she likes granola bars, she can make homemade bars and she can control the ingredients...trail mix is also similar. We like boiled eggs or healthy muffins or clementines.

Cold pizza. Cheese chunks. Frozen smoothies. Salad in a jar or box. Low sugar carrot cake or the like. Savory filled pastry (e.g. burekas, portico). Crackers and nut butter (if school and gym allow). Cold sauced pasta, especially Asian recipes. Rice salad with tasty nutriioud toppings. Rice pudding ditto. Yogurt ditto.

"Portico" should be portico. "Nutriioud" was originally nutritious.

AutoIncorrect is zealous. And never heard of piroshki, no matter the spelling!

cookinginvictoria

Will she eat vegetables? My daughter loves carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers and sliced red pepper with yogurt dips or hummus. Homemade dips are pretty easy to make but we sometimes buy high quality store bought ones too. We've been doing lots of quick breads and muffins lately (trying to cut down on store bought crackers with all of the added salt). Merrill's corn muffin recipe on this site is super easy to make and appeals to all of the kids (and adults!) that I've served them too. I often add about 1/2 cup Gruyere or Cheddar cheese and or diced ham for some extra protein.

kimhw

Roll ups. All types. Turkey and cheese. Chicken salad in romaine leaves. Ham and apple slices. If the child likes wraps....that gives lots of options.

Fat Tony

This might be a bit of a stretch, but what about a black bean taquito? Wrap them in foil to hold the heat for a bit.

Good idea. And even better if the after-school program has a cafeteria and microwave for warming up bagfed meal.

Healthline

Here's an easy homemade granola bar recipe, Toasted Oatmeal Almond Berry Bars. They're sweetened with honey, not sugar: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/toasted-oatmeal-almond-berry-bars

Another idea are these Breakfast Muffins. They're hidden with fruits and veggies, but the added mashed banana makes them sweet: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/breakfast-muffins

I think this is exactly what she's looking for--thank you.

Thanks, everyone!