Suggestions from Flavor Flours - Alice Medrich

I am in charge of dessert for an upcoming wine dinner that needs to be gluten free. I thought I'd try something from Flavor Flours, but am having trouble picking one in particular. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to ones you've tried and enjoyed. Something that pairs well with red wine would be a bonus!

• Posted by: Sue
  • March 16, 2015

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 17, 2015

if you don't get enough 52 posts, try searching the Home Cooking board of chowhound.com.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 17, 2015

p.s. red wine and dark chocolate often go well together.

Sue
Sue March 17, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been wanting to make something out of Alice's book and figured this would be a great reason. But of course a dinner party isn't always the best time to try something new. I'll be sure to check chowhound.

Nancy March 17, 2015

another vote for chocolate. I''ve made and loved the chocolate avocado mousse on foodies.com or foodies.ca - easy, tastes great, also vegan. You can garnish as suggested with mint and raspberries, play with other herbs, fruits, nuts, gluten free cookies.

Sue
Sue March 17, 2015

I agree Nancy - chocolate can sure make wine sing! I'll check out foodies.com. The mousse sounds delicious.

Nancy March 22, 2015

Just an update. Made this mousse last week with assorted berries & taste was heartier than with raspberries alone. Maybe better for the red wine pairing. And, while ripe avocados are ideal, it even was a hit with medium ripe avocados (all that were available).

hardlikearmour March 17, 2015

Here's an excerpt from Edward Lee's Piglet review of Flavor Flours. It contains several recommendations -- the Chestnut Jam Tart sounds like a great option: "Medrich is adept at coaxing deep flavors out of recipes as simple as her Buckwheat Sponge Cake -- which sounds and looks odd but the nutty, almost savory finish is so haunting I know I will make it again and again. Her Chestnut Jam Tart is a great example of something so familiar and recognizable and yet unlike anything you’ve ever tasted. The decadent, taut crust gives way to a chewy center that’s both impossibly soft and crunchy at the same time -- it’s easily the best dessert I’ve had in my mouth this year. And recipes like the Corn Flour Tea Cake are easy enough to instantly become a staple in your repertoire. All throughout, it’s evident how much research and testing went into this book."

Sue
Sue March 20, 2015

Thanks - I forgot to check the Piglet review!

sydney
sydney March 21, 2015

This is probably late, but Alice Medrich contributed a Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookie recipe here (search 'recipes') in November. I was looking for a non-gluten holiday treat. Everyone (including my little kids) loved them. Plus they were easy because I did the dough in rolls and refrigerated til necessary. (With or without cherry jam makes them pair with red wine, too.) The comments aren't super-positive but honestly I'll do them again, no question.

Sue
Sue March 21, 2015

Thanks Zelda. Never too late, because my celiac friend is part of a group we dine with often. So I'm always happy for gluten free recipes that taste great. I'll check out the buckwheat recipe!