Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

What to do with excess slightly sweetened whipped cream?
I have about 3 or 4 cups of it in the fridge and was wondering if they could be incorporated into some savory dish? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

asked by nasilemak almost 6 years ago

When I have just a little whipped cream left, I usually eat it on my finger. How did you end up with 3 - 4 cups of extra whipped cream?

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

If it's not too sweet, you might consider stirring some into a root vegetable soup, perhaps butternut squash soup flavored with some nutmeg and bay leaf. You'll probably have a lot left, though. How about mounding it on a big platter in the shape of a snowman - decorate it with candies and fruits and pretty edible things and then just dip those goodies in the whipped cream - practically guilt free. At the end, it'll be like a snowman that got rained on and you can discard it without feeling too guilty about that either!

If you have some citrus fruit, gelatin and some egg whites you can make a lovely citrus mousse.
http://events.nytimes.com...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

You could incorporate it into a mousse - chocolate, pumpkin, lemon...that's what immediately comes to mind when I think of a recipe that uses a fair amount of whipped cream. (Sorry, not savory though.)

It's super good folded into lemon curd as a tart filling.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

You could keep whipping it and make butter. Add a pinch of salt maybe, to balance the sweet.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

bella s.f.! Are we the same person? I swear, there aren't too many things better in life than whipped cream blobbed on a finger.

Whatever you do, nasilemak, do it quick--like right now. Unless you've stabilized the cream with gelatin or a packet of stabilizer, it's probably already begun to weep.

You can use it in ganache (truffles) if you have any kind of decent chocolate in your pantry, even if it's a bag of chocolate chips (as long as it's real chocolate). The chocolate can be semisweet or bittersweet, but because there's already sugar in the mix, I'd stay away from milk chocolate. Once it's mixed with chocolate, it'll last a month. If you make the ganache/truffle mix today, you can use it for a luscious torte for Fri. or Sat. festivities: Make any chocolate cake in two round or square pans. When the cakes have cooled, whip the ganache until it's light and fluffy. Spread between the layers and on top of the cake and garnish with chocolate curls, raspberries and/or more plain whipped cream.

Or you can use it to replace the milk in a recipe for pound cake.

Or make hash with leftover meat (most people don't have leftover corned beef laying around, but you can be creative and use cooked chicken or the leftover Christmas roast or cooked ground beef) and cubed baked potatoes: Sweat some diced onion in a teeny bit of butter over medium heat for a minute or two, the add the meat, potatoes and salt and pepper. For a 10" skillet, pour in a cup of cream (two cups if it's been whipped). Stir everything around, then flatten the mix with the back of a pancake turner. Let the hash "catch on" to the skillet and when it's golden, spoon it onto plates with the bottom side up. Garnish with parsley or chives or green onion tops.

You can make a meaty bubble and squeak by adding chopped or shredded cabbage to the mix and letting it cook covered for the first five minutes or so.

You can also use it in succotash. Start your search here:

Be86118b 7dbe 4c55 9965 f835b31c11a2  miscjune10 021

thanks for all the suggestions!
i used have of it - incorporated into a pot of pea soup, spike it with Chiu Chow roasted chili oil and served it with King crab claws!
i had extra whipped cream because my friend made too much of it as she wanted to have enough for her upside down pineapple cake.