On a whim, I picked up some Aleppo pepper at the gourmet store today, knowing I had filed away a recipe that called for it. Now, of course, I can't find the recipe. Any great uses for Aleppo pepper out there?

asked by Kayb almost 8 years ago

Do a recipe on food52 search bar with Aleppo. There's a pretty good variety of recipes there!

Yes! The wildcard recipe this week uses it.

nutcakes

I first had it on a melon and feta salad. I use it when I want something sprinkled with a touch of heat. Good on deviled eggs.

Pretty much anything that calls for "paprika" or pimenton. But you'll have to taste to see if it suits your palate. I really like it.

From Paula Wolfert's wonderful 'Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean':
http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/the_cooking_of_the_eastern_mediterranean/bulgur_salad_with_red_pepper_and_walnuts

Btw, it's a really interesting cookbook - lots of info about cuisines of Turkey, Tunisia, Greece, Lebanon, Syria, etc...and lots of recipes that use Aleppo pepper.

healthierkitchen

Melissa Clark has some good ones, but I don't seem to be able to find the direct links to her New York Times columns for the recipes. One of my favorites is the red lentil soup and another is the Turkish lamb pasta. I actually use it whenever I'd like a little mellower heat.