Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Hi there. Has anyone substituted rose for white in a spring risotto. Think that will work ? Other ingredients -- peas, wild mushrooms, parm

asked by LizC over 1 year ago

Never would I disagree w Merrill but I wonder if it would turn the rice pink

I've never tried rosé, but I'd agree with Merrill that it should be a very dry one. If it's very pink for some reason, maybe use only half the quantity of rosé called for and make up the rest with chicken or vegetable stock?

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

that's great that merrill could help you. it's only 1/2 c. wine, yes? no worries w/ pink risotto i don't think, but that would be cool, wouldn't it?! Just wanted to offer that dry vermouth subs very well for white wine, in general. Also, for little uses like risotto, you can buy small 8 ou. bottles (6 pack) of both white and red wines. Not what you would likely choose to drink, but good for small cooking tasks where the wine doesn't have a major role.

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I make risotto very often and I think, depending on the flavor, a rosé could work nicely as long as its not too sweet. The foundations of risotto should remain, but I think the fun is in how versatile those components are. I've used a crisp riesling for pear and gorgonzola risotto before, and a powerful Barolo for a sausage and baby octopus variety. Play around and, as long as you're open to the results, they shouldn't disappoint!