Hi there. Has anyone substituted rose for white in a spring risotto. Think that will work ? Other ingredients -- peas, wild mushrooms, parm

• Posted by: LizC
  • April 18, 2015

Voted the Best Reply!

Merrill Stubbs April 18, 2015

I substitute rose for white wine in cooking all the time and it always works just fine. In fact, sometimes I think it's even better! I'd definitely use a drier rose, though.

LizC
LizC April 18, 2015

Thank you! I did and it was great.

Lisa
Lisa April 18, 2015

Never would I disagree w Merrill but I wonder if it would turn the rice pink

Pegeen April 18, 2015

I've never tried rosé, but I'd agree with Merrill that it should be a very dry one. If it's very pink for some reason, maybe use only half the quantity of rosé called for and make up the rest with chicken or vegetable stock?

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 18, 2015

that's great that merrill could help you. it's only 1/2 c. wine, yes? no worries w/ pink risotto i don't think, but that would be cool, wouldn't it?! Just wanted to offer that dry vermouth subs very well for white wine, in general. Also, for little uses like risotto, you can buy small 8 ou. bottles (6 pack) of both white and red wines. Not what you would likely choose to drink, but good for small cooking tasks where the wine doesn't have a major role.

PieceOfLayerCake April 19, 2015

I make risotto very often and I think, depending on the flavor, a rosé could work nicely as long as its not too sweet. The foundations of risotto should remain, but I think the fun is in how versatile those components are. I've used a crisp riesling for pear and gorgonzola risotto before, and a powerful Barolo for a sausage and baby octopus variety. Play around and, as long as you're open to the results, they shouldn't disappoint!