What can I use instead of ramps?

I live in Germany and have never seen them here. Alternatively, does anybody know what they're called in German? I can't seem to find out.

asked by Hannah Mark about 3 years ago

Ramps are wild leeks. My German isn't good enough to know what the translation would be. But you could substitute leeks or even green onions/scallions in a recipe. If you use scallions, you'd have a milder outcome than with ramps.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Depending on what you're doing, you could use a bit of garlic chive/buchu. My understanding and experience with ramps is that they're oniony, with a bit of a garlic kick. Other than that. I don't think standard leeks are as aromatic, but in a pinch leeks or spring onions could work.

We need Maedl to translate!

Melanie K.

You might be able to substitute wild garlic leaves, which I think are more common in Europe. This article actually says ramps are called "wild garlic" in Europe, but I don't think they're the same thing (two different plants). Since it conflates the two, I'm sure one would be a good substitute for the other!

http://germanfoods.org...

Hannah Mark

Thanks Melanie :)
I've never actually heard of or seen wild garlic leaves, but I'll keep an eye out for them!

lem monade

Bärlauch is wild garlic / ramsons and from the same family as ramps, not quite the same but similar enough to substitute – at least where just the leafs are used. I am not sure if Bärlauch also has those tiny onion-like bulbs that you find on ramps, but if you forage it yourself, just check :)

Hannah Mark

Thanks so much! I suspected that Bärlauch might be a good substitute, but wasn't sure :)