Make-ahead tartlet shells

I'm looking for a recipe for tartlet shells that can be made ahead by at least two days (the longer the better though!) and that are shelf-stable - no freezer space available. The finished shells will be approximately 2" across and will be filled with fruit jam the morning of. I'd prefer a classic pie or tart dough, but would also consider shortbread or something less traditional if there's a big difference in how well it can be made ahead. Thanks!

ChefJune April 27, 2015

Meaghan, I'm not aware of any special recipe for make ahead pie crust. You can go ahead and make your favorite recipe in how ever large a quantity you will need. You will need to refrigerate the shells, however, if you want them to stay fresh and moist.

PieceOfLayerCake April 27, 2015

I worked at a bakery that would mold tart shells, dock them, and then leave them at room temperature for 20 hours to dry out slightly. This improved their texture and made them impossibly crisp! Beyond that 20 hours, I would definitely keep them chilled. We used a basic pâte sucrée for them.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 28, 2015

you could also consider making tartlets shells from filo which can sit at room temp for a day or 2, as long as they are in tightly sealed container. I make mine by buttering @ of 3 or 4 layers of filo (full sheet)including the top layer; cutting the sheet into squares and pressing @ layered square around the outside of the cups of miniature muffin tins. and baking 350 degrees ~15-20 minutes til browned.

Lost_in_NYC
Lost_in_NYC April 29, 2015

I have made these before and they have held up nicely after a few days.

http://www.the350degreeoven.com/2013/09/pastries-pies/homemade-mini-tart-shells-how-to-make-tartlet-shells/

Meaghan F
Meaghan F May 2, 2015

Thanks everyone! You've given some great tips. I'll be doing a test run first and will try them all.

foofaraw
foofaraw May 2, 2015

Another options would be with melted chocolate lining. My mom used to make a full tartlet with custard, fruits, and glaze. The shells stays crispy for 3-4 days because she brushed melted chocolate and let it cool before filling in the custard. The chocolate lining become a moisture barrier without effecting the flavor.