🔕 🔔

Can I serve quiche at a dinner party for 12? What would you serve with it, and for the one vegan?

asked by shecans over 2 years ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

With quiche-as-dinner, I wouldn't think so much "what would you serve it with" as "what would you fill it with". I think quiche can be very refined if you choose good ingredients to fill it with. Roasted vegetables, herbs, quality cheeses, etc. You could even mix in a bit of vegetable puree for a wow color.

If simplicity is your aim, a traditional quiche Lorraine with a fantastic, flaky crust (a must) and maybe a tangy salad/slaw on the side. I think even a bit of pistou could be a nice accompaniment.

The sky is truly the limit since quiche tends to be a blank canvas.

Yes, of course you can if that is what you and your friends like to eat. Great dinner parties are all about good food and good company, you don't have to follow anyone else's rules of what to serve. For your vegan friend make a tofu quiche. There are a lot of recipes on the Internet; for them - a nice spring quiche combination would be leeks and asparagus.

Bb8eebca 137f 4c7a b30f f248fff3f3af  recentpic

Maybe some vegan friendly roasted potatoes and a salad with citrus segments, hazelnuts, and shallots. You could also make a veggie based lentil soup for everyone to begin with.

I think I'd make a variety of quiches for a dinner party for 12. And I love the suggestion of a tofu quiche for the vegan. I'm using spring vegetables right now, like ramps, asparagus, spring onions in my quiches. sometimes with bacon or smoked duck breast, sometimes just with cheese. They are all wonderful. A big tossed salad with a vinaigrette would be a refreshing counterpoint to the rich quiches. And some sparkling wine. :)

Nice idea...this will be a more welcoming, hospitable menu. Another point - keep fat in mind when you make the pastry/crust for the vegan version. Many find coconut butter (alone or mixed 2:1 with coconut oil) a good substitute for dairy butter.

Quiche is great for a crowd. So many tasty possible fillings: ham, pancetta, bacon, gruyere, leeks, asparagus, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, etc.

Just make at least one quiche vegan tofu:
http://www.pbs.org/food...

A great big salad full of goodies with a choice of dressings in pretty pitchers is nice. If you feel you need an additional side, an easy dish would be a variety of vegetables roasted in the oven (toss first with olive oil, salt and pepper): carrots, zucchini, squash, cippolini onions, asparagus, etc. I like to serve them laid out in rows on a platter so people can choose the veggies they prefer (rather than chopping and mixing them together). Have a great dinner!

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

April Bloomfield has a recipe for mint and asparagus quiche that looks good in her new book A Girl and Her Peas. I like salad (green) with quiche. I would have a vegan soup and bread and salad for the vegan. Everyone else can have a soup first course and the vegan guest can have soup for a main course. You would have to convince me that vegan tofu quiche is delicious.