How can one make vegan cheese?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery November 2, 2011

What type of cheese are you trying to replace? Many recipes that call for cheese can use a completely different ingredient to replace the flavor or texture, while making it vegan. For example: coconut milk or blended cashews will lend creaminess to a soup that calls for cheese. Nutritional yeast lends a "cheesy" flavor to pesto and other dishes in place of parmesan or romano.

susan g November 2, 2011

The Uncheese Cookbook has recipes for all sorts of cheese-like things. Read the reviews for more information.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Uncheese-Cookbook-Dairy-Free-Substititues/dp/1570671516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320284082&sr=8-1

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I have one I like to use that is 1 cup raw cashew pieces, Juice from 1/2 of a lemon, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 cup water. Blend until smooth in a food processor. Makes an excellent vegan cheese spread.