🔕 🔔

Dump it cake

I accidentally bought 60% chocolate instead of unsweetened. Any ideas as to how to adjust the sugar?

asked by KimmyV over 2 years ago

B53d8573 61aa 4069 8686 39b20eb8e9c3  image

I meant to say for Amanda's dump it cake recipe.

Is that 60% cacao? if yes, still sounds like unsweetened, but with more cocoa solids. And thus more flavor. Should be fine as a 1:1 substitute. If you're unsure, check the label ingredient list. if YES it's sweetened, remove about 4 tsp sugar from recipe total for every oz of this chocolate you use.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Thanks, Nancy -- I didn't know that rule of thumb. Kimmy, hope it turns out well!

Amanda - you're welcome. I should have given credit - sweetened/unsweetened chocolate & sugar ratio comes from David Joachim, Food Substitutions Bible, 2005.

Thanks! I did reduce the sugar by a quarter cup and it was great. This is such a great cake. I have made it so many times and it always gets rave reviews. Glad I was able to work with what I had. I could not believe I bought the wrong chocolate. Sometimes I wonder where I left my brain. : )