Dump it cake

I accidentally bought 60% chocolate instead of unsweetened. Any ideas as to how to adjust the sugar?

asked by KimmyV over 3 years ago

KimmyV

I meant to say for Amanda's dump it cake recipe.

Is that 60% cacao? if yes, still sounds like unsweetened, but with more cocoa solids. And thus more flavor. Should be fine as a 1:1 substitute. If you're unsure, check the label ingredient list. if YES it's sweetened, remove about 4 tsp sugar from recipe total for every oz of this chocolate you use.

Thanks, Nancy -- I didn't know that rule of thumb. Kimmy, hope it turns out well!

Amanda - you're welcome. I should have given credit - sweetened/unsweetened chocolate & sugar ratio comes from David Joachim, Food Substitutions Bible, 2005.

KimmyV

Thanks! I did reduce the sugar by a quarter cup and it was great. This is such a great cake. I have made it so many times and it always gets rave reviews. Glad I was able to work with what I had. I could not believe I bought the wrong chocolate. Sometimes I wonder where I left my brain. : )