salted butter debate

I live in the UK and want to make this recipie

http://www.bakingmad.com/scrabble-biscuits-recipe/

I have doubled the recipie as I am making some for friends. I have 110g of unsalted butter in the fridge but my local shop only sells salted.

The recipie says it wants 1/2 a tsp of salt which as it is doubled will be 1tsp.

Could I use the 110g of unsalted butter and then 70g of salted and omit the salt

Or should I use all salted and omit the salt.

Thanks for the help

asked by Grace Peters over 3 years ago

In the U.S., there is 1.25 teaspoons of salt in salted butter. That comes to 4% sodium. My friend who lives in Ireland said all of her salted butter is 2%, so a little less than 3/4 teaspoon. Does your label say 2% or 4% sodium?

That should say 1.25 tsp salt in a pound (454 grams) of butter.

Grace Peters

Can't see here is website

http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=260388338

Says 0.1g of salt or 1.1% total

That is such a small amount of salt in your butter that you could just go with what the recipe calls for or use a tiny bit less if you have made them and want them to taste like they have before. They are cute looking cookies.

I know some bakers who prefer baking with only salted butter.

I think you'll be fine using the unsalted butter you have, supplementing with salted butter, and using about a half-teaspoon of salt, or a smidge less if you want. Or you can omit the salt altogether. I have a biscuit recipe (cookies, as we say) that uses no salt at all and they are delicious. Good luck! (And I was just about to play Scrabble, for real!)