🔕 🔔

Empanada question

I have a question about empanadas. Sandra Gutierrez has a great recipe in the Columns today: https://food52.com/blog...

A former neighbor from Puerto Rico had a similar recipe, except that my neighbor always included one slice of hard boiled egg, placed whole on top of the meat, an a couple of pitted green olives. Does anyone know if the egg and olives are unique to certain cuisines? Thanks.

I have had empanadas both in Chile and Argentina that had green olives and hardboiled eggs in them. I love how the egg looks. It's wonderful street food. A friend who grew up in Chile said his mom always makes them with eggs and olives.

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

Salteñas which are the Bolivian version of empanadas include hard boiled egg, and olives as well as raisins and diced potatoes. They are juicer than most, with a slightly sweet shell so that the sweet and savory contrast is wonderful.

When I lived in Paraguay sometimes hard boiled eggs were diced and added to the meat mixture. But then so was rice sometimes added to extend the meat. I think empanada fillings can be made with what you have on hand.

Ba67bb65 4a48 4c32 9267 a44ff4dae0fb  tobacco road 010

I know them with hard boiled eggs and raisins. Basic Cuban picadillo recipe. That has green olives in it also but I don't remember in the empanadas.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Oh I love empanadas so much! I'm adding that recipe to my Must Try folder. The egg and olives are commonly found in Argentine empanadas, but I'm sure many other Latin American and South American cuisines also use them.

I love this dpm empanada dough recipe and use it all the time. https://food52.com/recipes...

This video shows dpm making beautiful empanadas, using the egg and olives, and plus it's Mo Rocca (I love him): https://youtu.be/geUo8bBZel0...

Now I am craving empanadas!

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I had forgotten about the raisin and potato combo!