can anyone identify this nut?

A3a74404 6ee0 4863 8bf1 cf0585dd2828  img 5395

my roommate started soaking these, and now our whole house smells pretty horrible. can anyone identify what this is?

asked by philip over 3 years ago

sfmiller

It's a dried fava bean. Can't say I've ever noticed a bad smell while they were soaking. How long have they been in the water?

philip

Thanks for the response! They had been soaking for about 2 days until this morning. Now they are in a bowl covered in a brownish paste.

lem monade

if they are indeed fava beans and you have more of the dried ones, don’t soak them for nut milk but for soups and stews instead – and not longer than overnight, in the fridge.

or turn them into this very Roman dish of fava bean puree topped wit wilted bitter greens, or any other braised/roasted vegetable you like (artichokes, fennel, asparagus come to mind):

http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/2012/04/fave-cicoria-a-non-recipe/

lem monade

forgot to add: after soaking and/or balching you might want to perl of those white-ish green skins, they can be tough and bitter

bigpan

Mixing fava beans with chickpeas makes an excellent falafel
But, if the beans are "off", toss them.

Randy

Being the wiseguy that I am, my first inclination was to say... "I can't identify the nut until you post your picture." Just kidding!