How to use up a lot of watermelon, and quickly?

I have two watermelons, each at least a week old, sitting in the fridge, but I have no one to share them with! Any ideas on how to use it all up before it goes bad? Louisa Shafia's watermelon tonic is the only one that comes to mind.

• Posted by: ariel a
  • June 12, 2015

Nancy June 12, 2015

cocktails (many good recipes out there)
smoothies
salad with cucumbers, feta, other good fixings.
make watermelon pickles
make granita

Nancy June 12, 2015

ps - forgot to say, if you make a salad, only add the dressing at the last minute, as watermelon wilts under vinaigrette after about 20 min

SKK June 12, 2015

Slice and freeze to use for drinks at a later time. A favorite here is strawberries, watermelon, ginger, lime juice blended in our Vitamix.

CanadaDan
CanadaDan June 12, 2015

watermelon sorbet. yum.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten June 12, 2015

A particular sort of watermelon salad that I really like is chunks of watermelon with thinly sliced red onion, shredded fresh mint leaves, lime juice, olive oil, some type of spicy ground or flaked chile, and salt. Feta cheese is good with this but I think optional. The salad tastes so fresh and lively that I can eat a ton of it. It is best soon after it's tossed together, but I've happily eaten leftovers at lunch the next day.

ariel a
ariel a June 19, 2015

This salad was mind-blowing! SO fresh and lively, just like you said. Thanks for the great tip!

dinner at ten
dinner at ten June 19, 2015

I'm tickled that you made it and liked it! I haven't made it since last summer but will have to soon.

Julie
Julie June 12, 2015

We made watermelon juice. It was good. Just use watermelon and blend it in a blender. Add ice and enjoy.

Hollie D
Hollie D June 13, 2015

Watermelonade!

Pegeen June 13, 2015

I second watermelonade - delicious. https://food52.com/recipes...
And also the tip to just pulverize it in the blender or food processor, strain it and freeze it. Use for drinks or sorbets later on.

Fresa
Fresa June 13, 2015

Watermelon juice (made using a juicer, if you have one) is really good with vodka.

Niknud
Niknud June 15, 2015

Watermelon margaritas! Slice that bad boy up, pop it in the freezer. Go to the store and get simple syrup and a ridiculous number of limes and juice them all. Then glug in several glugs of your favorite tequilla, lime juice, simple syrup and your watermelon chunks and prepare to get absolutely nothing done for the rest of the day (and possibly the day after). They can be deadly. But you'll be glad you did it.

ariel a
ariel a June 19, 2015

Thanks for the great responses, everyone! I made dinner at ten's incredible watermelon salad, Boozy Watermelon Rosemary Lemonade, and froze the rest for more drinks. Y'all are wonderful.