How to use up a lot of watermelon, and quickly?

I have two watermelons, each at least a week old, sitting in the fridge, but I have no one to share them with! Any ideas on how to use it all up before it goes bad? Louisa Shafia's watermelon tonic is the only one that comes to mind.

asked by ariel a over 3 years ago

cocktails (many good recipes out there)
smoothies
salad with cucumbers, feta, other good fixings.
make watermelon pickles
make granita

ps - forgot to say, if you make a salad, only add the dressing at the last minute, as watermelon wilts under vinaigrette after about 20 min

Slice and freeze to use for drinks at a later time. A favorite here is strawberries, watermelon, ginger, lime juice blended in our Vitamix.

CanadaDan

watermelon sorbet. yum.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

A particular sort of watermelon salad that I really like is chunks of watermelon with thinly sliced red onion, shredded fresh mint leaves, lime juice, olive oil, some type of spicy ground or flaked chile, and salt. Feta cheese is good with this but I think optional. The salad tastes so fresh and lively that I can eat a ton of it. It is best soon after it's tossed together, but I've happily eaten leftovers at lunch the next day.

ariel a

This salad was mind-blowing! SO fresh and lively, just like you said. Thanks for the great tip!

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I'm tickled that you made it and liked it! I haven't made it since last summer but will have to soon.

Julie

We made watermelon juice. It was good. Just use watermelon and blend it in a blender. Add ice and enjoy.

Hollie D

Watermelonade!

I second watermelonade - delicious. https://food52.com/recipes...
And also the tip to just pulverize it in the blender or food processor, strain it and freeze it. Use for drinks or sorbets later on.

Fresa

Watermelon juice (made using a juicer, if you have one) is really good with vodka.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Watermelon margaritas! Slice that bad boy up, pop it in the freezer. Go to the store and get simple syrup and a ridiculous number of limes and juice them all. Then glug in several glugs of your favorite tequilla, lime juice, simple syrup and your watermelon chunks and prepare to get absolutely nothing done for the rest of the day (and possibly the day after). They can be deadly. But you'll be glad you did it.

ariel a

Thanks for the great responses, everyone! I made dinner at ten's incredible watermelon salad, Boozy Watermelon Rosemary Lemonade, and froze the rest for more drinks. Y'all are wonderful.