🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Perfect Peach-Blueberry Pandowdy

609c9c2b e603 40c0 bb27 e893c67127a9  2013 0730 finalist peach pandowdy 805

I have a question about the recipe "Perfect Peach-Blueberry Pandowdy" from EmilyC. I'm trying to pick a desert with the summer fruits that are in season and this looks amazing! But I'm bringing the desert over to a friend's house where we won't eat desert for at least 5 hours and I am concerned the topping will get soggy. But it is the kind of dinner party that I could save a final step for their oven, but not too much preparation. Is there a way I could break this down into making the dough and filling ahead of time and then baking hours later? Any advice? If it won't work, I'll just save it for when we have them over to our house and pick something different.

asked by texbrenner about 2 years ago

Texbrenner - I think you should be fine. there is no b. powder in the dough, which would not work well in a delayed/separated cooking. The dough has to chill minimum 1 hr anyway. recommended steps...make the dough, chill min 1 hr. make the fruit filling, let chill, put in plastic box for safe transport. take baking dish, filling and dough to friend's house. assemble, bake. You may have to increase the baking time if the dough & filling are chilled, reduce it if they are room temp. check periodically. One wrinkle - if you have a box/container that will accommodate it, roll out the dough and take it flat to friend's house. less disturbing their kitchen work space, dinner plan. good luck.

I agree with Nancy; you should be fine to break it into steps and bake at your friend's house. That's a good tip about taking the dough rolled out.
Also, though, I'm not sure that the crust would get too soggy. You could make it ahead of time and then after dinner, pop it in the oven for a few minutes to heat and crisp up before serving. Maybe someone who has made it before can comment on how the leftovers compared to the first serving?

I agree with you and meant to say I also wasn't sure that baking advance would lead to a soggy crust. was only answer the question asked.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Yes! In fact, a pie crust benefits from a long rest period, especially one with alternative grains involved. The cornmeal takes longer to hydrate than the flour and will have a softer texture after the rest. I'm not entirely sure if that'll affect the pleasant crunch that cornmeal imparts but you could always throw an extra sprinkle under the dough (like they do with some pizzas) if you so desire. You could even assemble the entire thing in the skillet (freezing if you choose) and then take it over like that. The contact between the unbaked dough and the filling won't affect its baked texture.

When i suggested assembling the dish, I meant to add to leave it unbaked until you arrive at the party. I'm not sure if that was implied haha.

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

I don't really need to reply here because you've already received great advice, but just wanted to confirm that it's completely fine to bake this in advance -- the crust holds up remarkably well and won't get soggy!

Thank you Food52 Community! And thanks EmilyC for this great looking desert. I can't wait to try it. I think I am going to try the "assemble first - bake later" suggestion. I like the idea of pulling this out of the oven, letting it cool, and eating it warm! Thanks!