Our little rice cooker in a *new* red—but not for long! Shop now » details
Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. While supplies last.
🔕 🔔

Chocolate-dipping candied clementines

I jarred some candied clementine rounds in syrup and am thinking about dipping them in chocolate... Recipes seem to call for candying the fruit, then immediately drying for up to several hours; can I just take mine out of the jar and proceed with the drying? (Even better, a way to skip the drying??) Any better ideas for combining the clementines with chocolate?

asked by Meaghan F over 1 year ago
B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I would not skip the drying...the moisture under the chocolate will almost certainly affect its set and adherence. You certainly can dry the clementines overnight though. I would think uncovered in the fridge would be best, on a cooling rack if possible. The environment in the fridge is perfect for dehydration.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Thank you! That's a great tip about the fridge; the recipes I saw all called for drying 2-5 hours in a low oven, which is something I didn't really want to do in 90 degree heat.

Dcaf56be 4ef6 4780 84d1 1e354adf4ff9  stringio

If your kitchen has a dry enough atmosphere you should be able to dry them on the counter, no need for the oven, although it would take longer. I would not have thought of using the fridge, mine always seems very damp. I imagine it would take even longer to dry in a cold environment because the evaporation would be reduced.

For alternative ways to combine them, if you're not bothered about still having whole pieces, I'd imagine you could drip dry the clementines and chop them and mix them up into a ganache but it's not something I've tried.

Thanks! I thought about doing something with ganache but ruled it out, as the final product will be served sans air conditioning and I was worried about melting.

temper the chocolate, if you have time/inclination. That way it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge, and has a nice snap to it.