I was assigned to bring a side dish for a 4th of July cookout, any ideas?

Preferably something healthy but still kid friendly.

• Posted by: Prose
  • July 2, 2015

Karen
Karen July 2, 2015

Grill fresh corn; let it cool. Add chopped zucchini, diced red onion, jalapeño or Fresno chiles (or bell peppers for no heat), halved cherry or grape tomatoes, lots of drag cilantro and parsley. Make a vinaigrette w fresh lime juice, Dijon, and your favorite oil - season dressing with a little garlic, plenty of ground cumin and coriander. Delicious summer salad!

ArleneHJ
ArleneHJ July 2, 2015

How about elites (Mexican style street corn)? I also love a good Cole slaw! Good luck, have fun, and Happy Fourth ;)

ArleneHJ
ArleneHJ July 2, 2015

That's supposed to say ELOTES btw :-)

DrCrankyPants
DrCrankyPants July 2, 2015

A French or German style potato salad. Vinagrette, not mayo; keeps well for travel. Can add bacon or haricots vert if you are up for it.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F July 2, 2015

This was going to be my suggestion, too - I've made this recipe for multiple cookouts and Thanksgivings and always get compliments: http://www.epicurious.com...

Michele
Michele July 2, 2015

Ina Garten has a corn salad that I have made many times and it is seriously delicious and it is quick and easy:
http://barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=635&S=0

Hollie D
Hollie D July 2, 2015
Sam1148 July 2, 2015

We're bringing a Black Bean and Corn Salad. Tonight the beans soak..tomorrow they get cooked with hamhocks.

Then corn is grilled and added to the cooked black beans with red onions, red bell pepper, and hot pepper.
And the salad is dressed with a lime, chili powder, garlic, olive oil dressing and left overnight. Add some Mexican crumbling cheese (or feta) and parsley before serving.

For a crowd avoid cilantro...or serve a bit on the side for people that like it.