pork rib tips

9dd884ac 3e8d 4642 8815 de1bd6a3e73f  1435906663728 1518045646

My husband likes his meat boiled in water and covered in Chile sauce he's from mexico and likes food I usually never cooked before... Every time I boiled pork rib tips in water for like hour or maybe even longer than that its still pink in the middle and soft...I'm really frustrated that I can't make this for my husband the way he wants..... Also this happened with chicken drum sticks well any meat I had boiled in water..... Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

asked by geraldine about 3 years ago

C Sangueza

Geraldine, My Bolivian mother-in-law taught me to make a pork dish using ribs, cut into pieces. Cook them in well seasoned water using salt, garlic and cumin. Don't use a lot of water, and cook in a flat, open pan (preferably copper) until the water has evaporated. At that point we add aji colorado which is ground, dried rocoto pepper - you could substitute any powdered pepper or pepper paste that you like. Keep cooking them on medium high in the fat they release turning often until they get browned and crispy on the exterior. We serve them with hominy and fresh salsa.
I don't know about the chicken. Do you have a good Mexican cookbook? Good luck

This sounds really good.

geraldine

I will try this tomorrow!! No I don't have one but I need one! Do you know of a good Mexican cookbook?

Have you tried this technique? https://food52.com/recipes...

It's not pork ribs but its a great method of cooking meat. When I tried the recipe I thought it needed some sauce. Check it out.

Diana Kennedy has what's called Chilorio in her Cuisines of Mexico. It looks like it's what you are looking for. I don't know what pork rib tips are. Her recipe uses pork shoulder. It's similar to carnitas, but then cooked again with a chili sauce. I've had this cookbook since the eighties and use it all the time. Very authentic Mexican recipes. The two rice dishes are exactly what I've had in Mexico and could never figure out how to make. The book is not available for Kindle on Amazon, so maybe it's out of print, but her more recent book looks awesome. I'm not as familiar with Rick Bayless, but people rave about his books.

C Sangueza

I don't have a Mexican cookbook. I think Diana Kennedy's is the most authentic, but as you know Mexican food differs a lot between regions. Any chance you could hang out and cook with any of the cooks from his family?