🔕 🔔

what is a good substitute for bread flour?

asked by @mcs3000 over 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

It's not perfect but I find unbleached all-purpose flour a fine substitute for bread flour.

89628f77 ebe9 4d15 8db7 477daec6bcb0  mcs

Thank you, Amanda. I'll try it tonite. Have 9 flours, but out of bread flour..!

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

We keep vital gluten around for those occassions as well as just normal bread making. Bob's Red Mill has a good product.

@Verdigris - Thank you for the tip and brand suggestion - will buy it.

If you have King Arthur, it is the highest protein AP flour I know of and will be a good sub. Hope this isn't too late.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Ditto nutcakes. I use King Arthur AP for all my baking and I bake a lot of breads. I found it to be too much trouble to keep so many flours on hand. Also, I took a breadmaking course at King Arthur and they use their AP in the excellent breads they bake for their bakeshop - I figure if it's good enough for them, it more than good enough for me!

@nutcakes and @savorykitchen: I use King Arthur AP - great to know about it's protein factor. Currently, I have a lot of flours on hand because I'm baking my way through "Good to the Grain." Finally, thank you all for your comments - learned so much! I'm actually glad I ran out of bread flour.