🔕 🔔

Bread flour vs All-purpose flour?

A bread recipe calls for 4 cups of all-purpose flour... i already have a bag of bread flour, why wouldn't I use the bread flour instead?

asked by saenyc over 6 years ago

What are you making? BF has a protein content of 12-12.5%. AP's is 10-10.5%. AP flour won't make a good bread, generally, and BF is way too strong for baked goods other than bread. Does that help!

Sorry, I just read the rest of your question. Duh, I see you're making bread. I find it extremely frustrating when a bread recipe calls for bread flour OR all-purpose flour, as if they're interchangeable. They aren't. Before I say use the bread flour, may I ask what kind of bread you're making?

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

I do understand that bread flour has stronger gluten for bread making. However, I've used A/P flour for many recipes over the last few years with delightful results. Just make sure you're doing to steps correctly (kneading, resting, rising) and with enough time to develop the glutens in the a/p flour.

7ead55c3 e693 4ddd a664 bb6957fc7754  img 1395

E62e0bbe 150b 48ec b798 be466aea638b  landing

thx guys! i'm making a Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread. beautiful pix Queen!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

One hint: Get a digital scale and measure by weight. They're cheap now..with a 'tear' function you can measure directly in the bowl--spooning in flour.

My baking improved a lot since using that. Google will reveal weights of different AP flours in grams. For example Gold Medal AP flour weighs in 130 g/cup. While other flours weigh in 125g/cup. It adds up and can be the diffrence between success and fail.
http://www.recipesource...

Fc86615e 49f8 4dba b774 5a8afdbf798d  img 1122

We actually just posted a link on differences between many different types of flour! It basically comes down to the gluten content in each. Bread flour typically has a higher percentage of gluten (11-15%) than all-purpose (11-12%). The higher gluten makes the bread "spongier" and more dense. Hope that helps!

http://whiskiebusiness...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Since you are using whole grains which are heavier, an extra boost from the gluten in the bread flour should be beneficial.